With the risk of sounding a little like the Scroodge, please be sensible. It’s not called the silly season for no reason. Partying, drinking, indulging, overeating and running around like a headless chicken from event-to-event and shop-to-shop, trying to please everyone but yourself, it’s no wonder many of us feel tired, rundown, overweight and stressed as the new year rolls around.
What if this year you honored YOU and entered the New Year feeling refreshed, energized, slim and relaxed? What if you shopped online, avoided the crowds and got all your Christmas shopping done weeks in advance? What if you stayed in and kept the scales balanced by treating the holiday season as a time to relax as well as party? What if you were more conscious about treating yourself like someone you really love and not place such stress-inducing demands on yourself? What would that look like? It’s really not so difficult. Just a little discipline and willpower, that’s all.
TOP 5 TIPS TO HELP YOU STAY HEALTHY OVER CHRISTMAS
1. EXERCISE Remember to keep up with your exercise routine. Just because you were out and about the night before is no excuse to sleep in and forego your workout. Staying active will help you feel better. I promise! My favourite hangover cure used to be a run on the beach and swim in the surf. Great way to sweat out those toxins! Try and exercise outside as much as possible and take advantage of the bright sunny summer days. If a run is too much to contemplate, how about calling a friend who was out with you the night before and take a brisk walk around the park.
2. RELAXATION As much as Christmas is a lovely time to catch up with all your friends and family, remember to take some time out for YOU. Take a few moments in the day to practice meditation or stress-relieving breathing techniques, or create a mini home spa experience laying in the bath filled with calming essential oils. We’re conditioned to think that Christmas is all about giving, so how about taking the time to give to your self as well this year.
3. NUTRITION Remember to make healthy choices this Christmas. It’s easy to get carried away with all the puddings and chocolates and shortbread and party food, but before over-indulging remember how it’s going to make you feel the next day. Remember to eat plenty of vegetables, fruits and whole grains. If you do like enjoying Christmas treats, limit your portion size.
4. WATER Drink plenty of water to help keep you hydrated. If you do drink alcohol, remember to alternate every alcoholic drink with a glass of water and please don’t drink on an empty stomach. Best to have a healthy snack before you go to the party as it will also prevent you from snacking on unhealthy party food. Dandelion tea is a great herbal tea to drink throughout the days when you know you’re going to be out and about, partying and drinking alcohol at night, as it helps to detoxify the liver.
5. SLEEP Get plenty of rest and aim for 7 – 8 hours of sleep every night. It’s not going to make or break your life if you don’t go to EVERY party. How about having a night in? Create a relaxing experience at home, snuggle up on the couch with a good book or DVD and get to bed early.
And if all that fails, please don’t beat yourself up about it. Take each day as it comes and strive for a healthier day the next day.
Until the development of modern perfumery in the 1880s, fragrances were made using natural materials. Since that time the marketplace has become dominated with perfumes made from synthetic chemicals, fixatives and solvents. The Pegasus Parfum range goes back to the art of embracing the subtleties and complexities of using only natural and organic essential oils extracted from plants and flowers. The alcohol, which is used as the fragrance carrier, is certified organic by the Soil Association and fermented from pure organic grain. The resultant fragrance blends are soft, well rounded and wonderfully pure. Hooray! Perfume guaranteed free from petrochemicals, synthetic fragrances and toxic fixatives. Available from www.begenkishop.com
This is the Be Genki December Ritual. To subscribe so that you receive similar rituals delivered to your inbox at the beginning of every month please click here: http://www.begenki.com/connected.html