Seeing as we spend at least one third of our day at work it’s imperative that we learn to look after ourselves whilst doing whatever it is we do. Wouldn’t it be wonderful to be able to handle ordinary day-to-day stress calmly and with confidence, as opposed to spiraling in to a state of utter frustration as stress levels rise?
Stress is one of the major Occupational Health and Safety issues confronting workers in Australian workplaces. A survey conducted by the ACTU showed that one in four people took time off due to stress at work, with symptoms of stress including indecision, anxiety, depression, altered appetite, changes in weight, headache, backache, skin rashes and difficulty sleeping. Doesn’t sound like much fun, does it?!
So, I have put together a number of simple relaxation rituals that may just be what it takes for you to be one step closer to being able to handle your work stress with confidence and composure.
* Every couple of hours, take a break. Go for a 5 minute walk to stretch your legs, and whilst you’re at it, use the opportunity to fill up your glass of water or pot of herbal tea.
* Please stop eating lunch at your desk. Make the effort to get outside in your lunch break to enjoy the fresh air and sunshine.
* Use your lunch-break as an opportunity to exercise. Pack a change of clothes and go for a brisk walk for half an hour.
* And my personal favourite … set aside 5 minutes of ‘me’ time to create a relaxation ritual to help bring about a sense of calm amidst emotional stress and anxiety. Incorporate calming essential oils such as Neroli, Rose Otto, Bergamot, Rosewood and Palmarosa (a blend that is included in all Be Genki Serenity products). Essential oils stimulate receptors in the nose which relay messages to the limbic system, the part of the brain which regulates emotions, and help to bring about the positive change that you’re seeking. This essential oil blend is associated with having a relaxing, calming and balancing effect to help alleviate stress, restlessness and anxiety whilst also uplifting spirits and promoting clarity. Neroli is regarded as one of the most effective sedative and antidepressant remedies. Incorporating these essential oils in to the ritual below may just end up being the routine ritual that is sacrosanct for your sanity.
The Be Genki Serenity “At Work Relaxation Ritual”:
1. Take 5 minutes out of the work day just for you.
2. Turn your mobile phone on silent mode.
3. Light an oil burner and add a few drops of Be Genki Serenity Essential Oil Blend.
4. Brew a cup of herbal tea (I love the Be Genki Serenity Herbal Tea blend that contains Chamomile, St John’s Wort, Licorice, Lavender, and Lime Flowers).
5. Gently massage a small amount of Be Genki Serenity Hand Cream (scented with calming essential oils) on to your hands.
6. Finish with a spritz of Be Genki Serenity Face Mist (scented with calming essential oils).
What do you do to de-stress at work?
Click here to read the version published on www.myspringday.com.au